Friday, February 19, 2010

Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad Sandwich

Earl Grey Tea Mannor in Old Sacramento made these great Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad tea sandwiches.  Before I had them I didn't even like chicken salad sandwiches.  Now this is one of my favorites.  When they went out of business I started making them myself.  I've been told they are very tastey...actually I was told I would be kicked very hard if I showed up to a party without them ;)  I think that means they're good...

Two sliced wheat bread
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (see below)
2 TBS chopped walnuts
3 TBS dried cranberries
1 TBS celery, diced very small
3 TBS light mayo
pepper to taste

You can use any cooked chicken for these sandwiches.  If you have leftover roasted chicken or grilled chicken you can shred it up and use it for this sandwich (as long as it isn't seasoned in a way that would clash with the cranberries).  I like to cut up a carrot, celery stalk, and an onion and put them in a pot with a bay leaf and a chicken breast (and some fresh thyme if I have it).  Then I add water to cover everything and bring it to a low boil.  When the chicken is cooked through I remove it from the liquid, shred it, and put it in the fridge.  Once it's cooled I add the chopped walnuts, cranberries, celery, mayo, and pepper.  The amounts listed above will make two sandwiches.  They are pretty filling, very tastey, and a great way to use up leftover chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment