Monday, January 11, 2010

Tri Tip and Caramelized Onion Panini







A Facebook friend posted about grilling a Tri Tip the other day, and I've been craving it ever since. So when I was planning our meals for the week I decided to make Tri Tip sandwiches. We already had some really good sourdough bread that's great for making Panini, so I thought why not a Tri Tip Panini?


I marinated the Tri Tip overnight in teriyaki marinade and added some crushed garlic for good measure. Then I roasted it in the oven for 45 minutes at 425 degrees.

While the Tri Tip was roasting away I made some caramelized onions. They are super easy, really yummy, and perfect with Tri Tip. Just one onion sliced thin, one teaspoon of butter, one teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of pepper, and a tiny pinch of sugar. I melted the butter in a pan over medium heat. Then added the onions and gave them a quick stir to coat them in butter. Once the onions started to become translucent I added the salt, pepper, and sugar. Then I just stirred them occasionally for the next 20 to 30 minutes while they turned golden brown.

Once the Tri Tip came out of the oven I covered it in tin foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. After it had a chance to rest I sliced it as thin as I could (against the grain). I put a little mayo and Dijon mustard on sliced sourdough. Then added the Tri Tip, onions, and cheese (for Anthony's....I can't have cheese). Once the sandwich is assembled I used a tiny bit of olive oil on each side of the bread and sprinkled one side with garlic salt. Then I but the whole thing in a Panini press and let it get nice and toasty.

It totally hit the spot. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really wasn’t. Plus we have enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow which is always a plus :)

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! This sounds awesome!! I'm adding all these ingredients to my next shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of teriyaki sauce did you use? I always have a hard time finding a good sauce for chicken or to use in rice bowls.

    ReplyDelete